01 February 2014

My Fair Godmother

Author: Janette Rallison
Series: My Fair Godmother #1
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

I am a sucker for fractured fairy tales, and that bias holds true for this novel.  I first found interest in this novel while surfing through Goodreads and coming along the cover.  Let's face it - a young fairy godmother with pink hair?  Color me intrigued.  I requested a copy from the library almost immediately.

For the novel itself, I practically laughed aloud at the internal letters that are used to help direct the story along and help explain a bit of a jump in the story line at one point.  And you have to give props to a "fair" godmother who would rather be shopping than helping her human extra credit project find true love/happiness.

The beginning of the novel, where Savannah jumps from one classic fairy tale to another before plopping into a semi-new fairy tale world, was a little hard to get engaged with.  The story seemed to flounder at these points and I found it difficult to find the will to keep on reading.  But when Savannah uses up her third wish (still thinking it should count as her first) and has to enlist the help of a leprechaun to plop back into yet another fairy tale world, then the story really begins to pick up.

Well you won't walk away with any true, real life lessons, the subtext of these lessons definitely exist in the novel.  And the characters are not as one dimensional as I have grown accustomed to in this day and age of young adult.  Indeed, My Fair Godmother is a fun, light read that can be easily enjoyed, though I would push it more towards chick lit than gender neutral for sure.

Realizing it is the first in a series, I am very tempted to continue on down the rabbit hole with the follow up novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment