13 February 2014

Cress

Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #3
Rating: 4.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Buy

Almost everything I thought Scarlet lacked, Cress delivered.  I don't want to get into spoilers, so I will try to be generic and not go into any details (I know there are already more than enough spoilers out there as it is).

When I saw the cover, I was instantly curious as to how Meyer was going to weave yet another classic fairy-tale princess into the mix.  As soon as I read the jacket cover summary, however, I was instantly impressed.  Not only did Meyer managed to seamlessly add Cress to the mix, but she did it in such a way that the addition was only natural.  In fact, I realized immediately that we had already met Cress (however briefly).

The one character I missed the most in Scarlet made a return in Cress and resurfaced as just an important person, if not carrying an even more vital role this time around.  Scarlet, however, lost quite a bit of face time which was a bit of a disappointment.  Still rather early on, she becomes almost a non factor as the group gets split up yet again.  And while the addition of a new character was seamless with Cress thrown into the mix, it added a whole new layer of characters to follow as the characters split into smaller groups.  And, least we forget, we still had Emperor Kai on Earth to contend with as he tried to deal with the devilish Levana.

While Scarlet by no means suffered from a sophomore slump, I definitely thought Meyer ramped up her game again with Cress.  While I still can't quite compare it to Cinder (perhaps since Cinder was so original as the beginning of the series and such a breath of fresh air compared to the other novels/series I have been reading lately), it definitely proves that Meyer is holding strong.  The introduction of the slightly (or perhaps more than slightly) crazy Winter towards the end of Cress sets up for an interesting premise for the fourth (and what I have to presume is the final) installment of the series.

We can only hope the release date for the final novel is early 2015, as it is going to be hard to wait for an entire year (at the least!) to find out what happens next.


No comments:

Post a Comment