01 December 2013

The Horse and His Boy

Author: C.S. Lewis
Series: The Chronicles of Narnia #3
Rating: 2.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

While The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was at least entertaining because it introduced us to the beloved characters of Susan, Peter, Edmund, and Lucy, The Horse and His Boy follows instead in the footsteps of the Magician's Nephew.  Lewis introduces readers to a lot of new characters all at once (a few of which are talking horses) and it is hard to connect to them because I associate Narnia with the kings and queens.  And while they do make a brief appearance in this novel, it is hardly enough to get excited about.  And while Aslan is present for a bit as well, I have never really cared much about Aslan.  A talking lion is a little hard to sympathize with.

This book does pick up in the end with some excitement, but I was already so confused by the end that it didn't have much impact on me.  I read dutifully through the entire novel, but most of it went in through the eyes and out through the ears, completely bypassing my memory.  By the time we got to the battle at the end, I wasn't even sure why they were fighting or who the other side even was, which toned down the excitement.

I will say, I'm glad I never finished this series as a kid as I don't think I would have enjoyed it much and then I never would have been interested in seeing the movies.  Prince Caspian is next in the series, however, so I am holding out hope.  Still not quite sure why these books have become classics though, as they are not something that would seem to stick with you throughout your childhood or life and don't really seem to withstand the test of time either (apart from the movies, which were ok but not great by any means or standards).

No comments:

Post a Comment