23 December 2013

Legend

Author: Marie Lu
Series: Legend #1
Rating: 4 / 5 stars
Verdict: Buy

It boasts on the cover that it deserves all the hype the book has received, and while I really haven't heard much - or any - of said hype, this book has been popping up all over my Goodreads account and I see it all the time on Amazon and at bookstores.  Now that the series has concluded, I have decided to give it a go where I can binge all three in the trilogy if I so desire.

Now that I have finished the first novel, I believe I do, in fact, desire to do just that.  It isn't that Legend in an action packed, full throttle suspense novel.  Almost the opposite, as I close the dust jacket of the novel and set it aside, I realize just how little action the novel had.  Granted, there is some suspense towards the end with the situation Day finds himself in, but I have little to any doubt of how the situation will resolve itself, so I didn't exactly feel like I was on the edge of my seat.

The characters are a little hard to relate to as well, as they seem awfully young for their characters, their lifestyles and their experience (for example, June's crazy abilities of observation and skill and Day's seemingly high number of experiences with the ladies at the ripe old age of fifteen).  But I let this slide, as perhaps in a society wrought with plague and death and murder children grow up and mature and live life to the fullest far quicker than they do in our sheltered society.

I didn't find anything special or unique in Lu's style of narration, and nothing about Legend screamed out that this series will become an instant favorite and must have addition to my collection.  But as I read through the pages, I found it harder and harder to put the book down to pay attention to television or another book or even to polite conversation with the people around me.  Somehow, this young girl and this young boy that appear very early on to be fated to be star crossed lovers seem to draw me in with their ordinary dialogue and point of view.  And while, looking back on the novel, it doesn't appear as if a whole lot happened, Lu has certainly put together the premises for the potential of a very exciting follow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment