14 December 2013

Horde

Author: Ann Aguirre
Series: Razorland #3
Rating: 3 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

Man, what a rather lengthy finale to the trilogy.  While Outpost was not exactly a power read, it was still a much quicker trip through than Horde.  This one definitely took me a while with its 400 plus pages combined with a lack of action and suspense.  Much of the novel includes walking around from town to town to town and back to town to try to gather up enough soldiers to fight in a group against the large zombie horde (hence, the name).  Thus, the novel is a series on walks and talks, with just a hint of action sprinkled here and there in between which made it a hard book to pick up and binge through.

After finishing the ending, I would have liked it better if it had been written in the third person and the epilogue had been dropped.  Then it would have at least had an eloquence to tie in very nicely with one of the mentioned plot lines of the Razorland trilogy.  As it was, the series was not bad, but it is not something I would invest the time in again to read all the way through.  It took me long enough to get through it the first time.  I have discovered I have a difficult time finding a good, solid zombie series to really invest myself in.  The Forest of Hands and Teeth was good, but other than that the state of literature for young adults has really washed up dry in this genre for me.  Using that fact alone, I would recommend reading through this series once if you are a zombie enthusiast for lack of better literature out there (at least that I have found).  As a stand alone without comparing it to its peers, however, Horde and the Razorland series as a whole fell short for me.  It never really grabbed my full attention and held the suspense.  With its length, it pattered off and lost me at times, and I had a hard time finishing the last novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment