28 December 2013

Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover

Author: Ally Carter
Series: Gallagher Girls #3
Rating: 3 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

After the first two novels in this series, I wasn’t so sure if I wanted to keep reading or not.  While I liked the idea of a whole school of little Sydney Bristow’s in training, the first two novels seemed to offer very little in the way of  actual spy action.  Instead, it was some light training but mostly teenage girl fluff as Cam found herself with a crush on a different boy in each of the two novels.  So when this one started out, I was pleased to see lots of action and while mentions of the previous boys existed, they didn’t make an appearance.

That is, at least, until you get past page 100… then the series appears to revert back to its roots as Cam runs into an unexpected guy from her past again, and all attention turns, it seems, to boys, boys, boys once more.  Granted, the plot of the story at least doesn’t revolve completely around a guy in this novel, but he still plays an important role.  When he isn’t popping up unexpectedly, Cam seems to almost always be expecting him to pop up.


Once you get past the boy madness that hits around page 100, I think my biggest beef with this novel is the ending.  Sure, it has a plot twist that you can kind of guess as it is logical, but it is still unexpected when Carter throws it at you.  But the problem with the ending is that it leaves a lot open ended.  The entire plot of who/why someone makes the kidnapping attempt at the beginning of the novel is left completely open ended and unresolved.  So while I still am not all that impressed with this series, especially after loving the Heist Society novels so much, now I feel as if I have to read the next novel in the series, just to see if they resolve the plot of this one or not.  And if not, then I will be truly mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment