18 November 2013

Fruits Basket, Volume 20

Author: Natsuki Takaya
Series: Fruits Basket #20
Rating: 4 / 5 stars
Verdict: Buy

Finally, the web is starting to unravel and things are starting to heat up.  We see two more Zodiac members apparently break the curse, although perhaps one of the "saved" members hasn't broke the curse after all... Takaya leaves a cliffhanger at the end to reveal in the next volume.

While I miss the presence of Yuki in this volume, I can't deny I enjoyed a breather from the student council gang.  Ren and Akito are heavily featured in this volume, as we get even more back story into why their family hatred runs so deep.

Kyo and Tohru finally confront each other, after spending much of the past few volumes rarely seeing each other and not saying much when they did.  While this is also left on a bit of a cliffhanger, we get some back story here as well.  And while I find it hard to believe that Tohru met so many of these characters (Kyo, Yuki, the student council guy, etc.) when she was younger, I guess stranger things could happen.

I will say, though, this volume finally answers my wish of putting some life and excitement back into the series after it lost its footing and grip there for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment