06 November 2013

Allegiant

Author: Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent #3
Rating: 2.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

When I completed my third or fourth reading of the  The Hunger Games series, a family friend recommended Divergent to me.  This rec came right around the time Insurgent was released, so I read Divergent and Insurgent fairly close together.  While Divergent peaked my interest and was entertaining enough, Insurgent fell flat until the very end.  It was only the tail end of Insurgent that even convinced me to give Allegiant a try.

Now that I have finished the series, I wish I had just dropped it after Insurgent and called it a day.  It is not that Allegiant is inherently bad, it is just that it is not inherently good either.  The action and suspense in this book - which clocks in over 500 pages - is limited and sparse.

The characters don't leave the impact that others do, in the series as a whole.  When I picked up Allegiant, I got it on loan from the library and thus did not have time to reread Divergent or Insurgent to refresh my mind.  So while a few names stuck in my brain - such as Four - the first part of Allegiant was trying to refamiliarize myself with the characters on the fly, which is never a good sign for a series.  I honestly did not even remember Tris's name.

I guess a good thing you could say about Allegiant is it definitely wraps the series up.  And I did like the ending, although it got increasingly hard the last 150 pages or so to force myself to keep reading as I knew I had other books on my shelf that needed to get read and reading this book became more and more of a chore instead of entertainment.

At the end of the day, Allegiant and the Divergent series as a whole never impacted me the way I like trilogy series to.  I never bonded or even connected with the characters, and the universe that Veronica Roth creates, especially the expanded one she introduces us to in Allegiant, felt short on the coat tails of writers like Scott Westerfeld and Suzanne Collins.  So while Divergent was a better series than Twilight, now that I have completed it I won't be adding the hardback editions to my collection of books to read over and over.  Indeed, I doubt I will ever pick up another one of these books again.  Lackluster seems to be the perfect word to my reaction to Allegiant.

No comments:

Post a Comment