26 October 2013

Death Without Company

Author: Craig Johnson
Series: Walt Longmire Mystery #2
Rating: 3 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

While different from the television show (which was my first introduction to Walt Longmire), the Cold Dish was an interesting enough read and a well enough written mystery - even if the ending left something to be desired.  It was a decent enough debut novel to have me venture into Death Without Company, the second novel in the series.

While the plot of this novel was interesting enough - Walt and crew set out to find Mari's murderer when the ole sheriff Connally is determined her death at the assisted living facility was in fact murder and not just death by old age and bad health.

I found this novel a lot harder to follow and get engaged in than the preceding one.  It took me a while to read, and with the numerous number of characters that are introduced in this book, it was hard to recall them all as I picked up where I had left off a few days before each time.  By the time I got to the end and the mystery was solved, I am not even sure I remember all the characters involved and how they relate to the beginning of the story.

That being said, it's not a bad novel.  For people who love mystery novels in general, I am sure they will find it a great read.  And Walt still has his moments of internal thought that make you want to laugh out loud.  Henry Standing Bear doesn't play as big of a role in this novel (which is a shame, because his banter and relationship with Walt is what really got me through the first novel) but Cady plays a role in this book, and her dialogue and relationship with her father brings its own entertainment.

As a mystery novel goes, I think there are much better options out there.  Certainly, the Walt Longmire Mystery series so far has been a little lackluster and a bit disappointing to me.  But where the plots and mysteries fall sort, the characters help pick up the slack to balance them out well enough for a library read or a loan from a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment