08 September 2013

Outpost

Author: Ann Aguirre
Series: Razorland #2
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

Here is yet another book that proclaims it is for fans of The Hunger Games.  And while it shares some fundamentals similarities to THG, saying the Razorland series is like the Hunger Games is like saying people that enjoyed the Hunger Games movie will enjoy The Walking Dead television show.

But enough with my constant moaning about riding THG coattails.  I will say that I did enjoy Outpost more than Enclave, as the characters seemed to develop a lot more during the second novel in the series.  Enclave did not leave much of an impression on me the first time around and while I did enjoy it the second time I read it last month in preparation for Outpost, I still would not slap it on my list of favorites.  I will say, however, that Outpost is at least a little more impactful than Enclave.

Sure, the stereotypical love triangle obligatory to YA fiction is still rooted in the characters of Deuce, Fade and Stalker.  And I am not sure my suspension of disbelief is willing to stretch as far as Aguirre is trying to pull it with regards to the direction she is taking the zombies in.  But I have to admit, the more I dabble into the mess that is YA zombie fiction, the more I take a liking to the Razorland series.  Granted, the plots and themes can be cliched, but compared to the other body of fiction that exists in the genre, Razorland is definitely in the top 50% of its class.

While more enjoyable than Enclave, it still just seems to be missing that little something that is hard to explain but you know it when you read it.  It is not the type of book that sucks you in and demands all night binges while it slowly takes over your life.  But it is interesting and exciting enough to get me to read Horde when it comes out later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment