06 September 2013

Eve & Adam

Authors: Michael Grant & Katherine Applegate
Rating: 3 / 5 stars
Verdict: Borrow

Let's start with the side characters and work our way up, shall we?  First, let's start with Maddox.  I know that he is supposed to be a trouble maker and we probably aren't supposed to like him and sure, I bet there are hundreds of dead beats just like him in San Fran.  But still.  The mere fact that Maddox exists, coupled with the fact that Aislin can't seem to cut her ties with him makes me dislike not only Maddox but Aislin as well.  I can't feel sympathy for someone who isn't willing to help themselves.  And then how Aislin's storyline plays out in the end... well, compared to how the first 250 pages of the book went, it seemed like a really quick 180 turn for her that I didn't quite buy to fit how her character was developed.

Then we get to Solo.  Supposedly super smart, and hell bent on revenge against Eve's mother because she is the reason his parents are dead.  Okay, sure, why not.  But the way the ending played out for him as well reveals he is just a kid, and even a high IQ doesn't prevent him from being pretty stupid and not thinking things all the way through.  He is smart enough to hack into her mother's company for what sounds like years, but he isn't smart enough to check all the information he is leaking from the company and cross reference it to make sure what he thinks is, in fact, the truth?  For someone with such a long, thought out plan, that seems like a major flaw.  Don't want to get into too much detail because I'd hate to spoil, but hopefully this makes sense once/if you read it.

Then we get to Eve.  I don't quite know how I feel about her.  Or her mother for that matter.  Even though half of the story is told in her POV, I still don't feel like I really connected with her on any level.  Perhaps since this story falls into the realm of sci-fi for me, and I just can't see a billionare letting her teenage daughter use multi-million/billion dollar software (especially since her mother may be against the whole God complex?).

I think my main issues with this book (beside issues with characters) deal mostly with the ending.  There is a twist, and I don't mind that at all as it makes it interesting.  But the ending doesn't seem too well developed and brings up a lot of questions to me.  Again, I don't want to get into too much detail as it would involve major spoilers, but revelations at the end seem to be counter intuitive to how the plot and characters were set up in the beginning of the story.

Overall, I think it's a fun, light sci-fi novel with the obligatory YA light romance thrown it for good measure whether it adds to the plot or not.  Good for the tweenagers and teenagers target audience, but probably a little too light and flawed for 20-somethings like myself and older that like to stick to YA.

No comments:

Post a Comment