05 August 2013

Serenity: Those Left Behind

Story: Joss Whedon, Brett Matthews and Will Conrad
Series: Serenity #1
Rating: 4.5 / 5 stars
Verdict: Buy

I hadn't realized until today just how much I missed Firefly and Serenity.  Introduced to it only a year or two ago by my brother's college roommate, I was instantly sucked in by the second or third episode.  Now, even the pilot has me all giddy like a school girl.  When I saw that Dark Horse Books had a Dr. Horrible comic, I soaked it up.  When Goodreads then suggested the Serenity comics, I almost peed myself in excitement.

This comic did not disappoint.  I hardly ever read an introduction to a book, let alone a comic, but when I saw that Nathan Fillion wrote the introduction, well of course I had to read it.  By the time I finished the introduction, before I even got to the comic part, I was obsessed with rewatching the entire series and movie again.  Thank God for Netflix.  I'm already on the pilot.

Now for the actual comic part.  The graphics are great, and I can see the characters from the show in each and every character, save Simon.  His characterization and personality were the same, but his representation on paper drawn up just didn't quite do him justice.  But the characterizations... wow.  Just spot on.  I think it helped that Joss lent a hand in the story of the comic.

If anything, my only gripe with this comic is that it is too short.  I already have the next one on request from the library.  It cannot get here soon enough.  Seeing the whole Serenity crew back together again was great - I really missed that in the movie followup.  And the story in the comic holds true to the nature of the show.

My favorite part is right towards the end.  Zoe asks Mal: "Where are we going, sir?" and Mal replies, "The same as always.  Forward."  The most BA and lovable space cowboy ever.

God bless you, Dark Horse Comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment