13 August 2013

Elegy

Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: Watersong #4
Rating: 2/5 stars
Verdict: Bury

Well, I can honestly say this book (let's be honest, the entire series in general) did not live up to my expectations.  I now feel I need to go back and reread the Trylle trilogy to see if it was actually any good after finishing this series.

Let's start with the characters.  They are cliche and one dimensional.  For a while, in perhaps the first or second book, there were a few of them that I actually liked.  In the middle of the series, I found myself favoring different characters than in the beginning.  But by the end, I hated them all.  Most of them were whiny and bitching.  The ones that weren't were annoying in their own ways.

Then we get to the plot.  Sure, the whole siren thing is resolved, but it is pretty typical.  Not a surprise in store there at all.  And while this book is about 530 pages long, not much of it is actual, honest plot.  Most of it is typical YA romance junk.  With a group of teenagers and young 20s characters, especially a bunch of extraordinarily beautiful girls, I expected some of this.  I even tolerated it for the first two books in the series.  The third one got a little annoying, especially with the Penn/Daniel subplot.  But, by goly, but the time we get to Elegy, it seems as if raging hormones are running amok.  Everyone is making out and a lot of them are having sex (and it appears as if it is unprotected sex as well - not exactly a message I would want to be sending out to young girls, certainly not if I were raising a daughter).  While I rolled my eyes at it in the third book, in Elegy it all just wanted to make be barf.

I definitely won't be adding the boxed set of this series to my collection.  I will not even be borrowing it from the library to read again.  I am going to tuck it safely away in a recess in the corner of my mind and pretend like I never read them.  Hocking lost quite a bit of respect/admiration from me for this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment