23 July 2013

The Social Code

Author: Sadie Hayes
Series: The Start-Up #1
Rating: 2 / 5 Stars
Verdict: Bury

I received a galley of this book from the publisher for review.  When I read the description of the book, I thought it was going to be amazing.  Cut throat, edge of your seat, big business corruption amazing.  I could not have been further from the truth.  This novel is just another cliche YA romance with one dimensional characters with just a hint of technology thrown in.  Reading this novel, I came to the conclusion that Hayes has little to no background in the state of the art of current technology, and didn't bother with too much research in the subject before writing this novel.  Granted, my background is in mechanical engineering, not computer science or software engineering, but even the fundamentals I have of electrical engineering and programming caused me to scratch my head while reading about this so called revolutionary app.

Not only is the whole premise of her app absurd, based on how Hayes decides it works, but then the explanation given for how it works is the CEO of Apple describes that the technology is impossible, and yet he is holding it in his hands and it is working.  Yeah, sure, now I'm going to believe this app could exist with the current state of the iPhone (also, I am wondering if the author got a kickback from Apple every time she mentioned one of their products in her book.  Reading this book felt like watching a blockbuster film with product placement galore).  Even if I could be convinced this young hotshot developed this program using only coding and her current iPhone, it wouldn't matter because I still wouldn't care about the 'plot'.

Nothing exciting happens in this novel.  All the love triangles are obnoxious, just like the characters.  And, to make matters worse, I got through all 300 pages of this book and it still left a lot unresolved.  Not that it mattered.  I have no plans of continuing this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment