07 July 2013

The Magician's Nephew

Author: C.S. Lewis
Series: The Chronicles of Narnia #1
Rating: 2 / 5 stars
Verdict: Bury

So I have never read through the entire series of The Chronicles of Narnia, but I wanted to, so I decided to start again from the beginning.  I have read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe a few times now, and have read The Magician's Nephew once before.  As I read through it again, however, I realized I didn't remember much.

It definitely seems to have some religious undertones now that I read it at an older age.  Aslan is a metaphorical God, creating a planet from nothing in a few days time from nothing but his roar/song.  Then, to create the Tree for Narnia, young Digory (who ends up on newly formed Narnia via time/space travel with some magical rings his uncle creates) and Polly (his neighbor who sneaks with him through a tunnel that connects their houses to start their crazy adventures) must get an apple from another tree.  Once they get to the tree, the evil snake (oh, I'm sorry, the witch) tries to convince Digory to take an apple for himself to help heal his sick mother, even though he knows he is not to use the apple for personal gain.  Lucky for himself and all of Narnia, he and Polly are smarter than Adam and Eve.

I wanted to reread this story because it is the birth of Narnia, but it really isn't necessary to understand The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe any better.  I doubt it is insightful to any of the other books as well.  It does explain how the magical wardrobe came to be, but you only need to read about the last two pages of the 202 to get this.  The rest of the book is kind of just "bleh".  I realize it is a story written for a younger audience, but it is one I doubt I would have enjoyed even ten years ago.  Hopefully the rest of the series will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment