22 July 2013

Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy

Author: Ally Carter
Series: Gallagher Girls #2
Rating: 2.5 / 5 Stars
Verdict: Borrow

I am still finding it difficult to get into this series, but I want to try because I loved the Heist Society novels.  But while Heist Society is filled with over the top, non stop action and suspense, this books just land flat.  For a bunch of girls who go to a spy boarding school, their lives seem rather boring.  The Gallagher Girls are pretty much the same as any other teenage girl - boy crazy and worried about their looks and clothes.

This book, like the first in the series, centers a lot of its focus on, you guessed it, teenage boys.  Now that Josh is kind-of-sort-of out of the picture, Cammie quickly finds herself with another boy in her life and - surprise - she doesn't really know what to do about it.

If they were going on actual missions outside of the school, working in cahoots with the CIA or FBI or any three letter abbreviation, then I would enjoy these books a lot more.  But the way they stand now, with little action besides "assignments"/fieldwork training for Covert Ops class, this book does little to hold my excitement and even causes me to roll my eyes every once and a while here or there.  The only spying work that seems to take place in this book is on each other and on the boys.

I am going to read the third in the series because I truly give up.  Hopefully the third time is the charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment