30 June 2013

Lullaby

Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: Watersong #2
Rating: 3 / 5 Stars
Verdict: Borrow

I think we are finally getting somewhere with this series.  I, at least, have not given up hope.  I was rather disappointed with Wake after reading the Trylle trilogy because I thought it could have been better.  With Lullaby, I think we got closer, but I certainly wouldn't mark this series with top literacy ranks.  The dialogue still falls a little flat and is somewhat cheesy.  The characters, even though they've had another 290 pages to develop, still feel mostly one-dimensional.  And the relationships are a tad bit cliche.  In fact, for a main character that is struggling with a HUGE life changing event and another main character who is trying to piece her life/family back together, this book certainly spends an unnecessary amount of time on teen relationships.

As hinted at, this book is not going to win any literacy awards.  The writing style is typical YA and there is no flash or bang, no quotes that will stay with you forever.  The fantasy is a bit over the top, as mentioned with Wake, where you not only have sirens of the sea, but they turn into horrible bird like monster that rip the hearts out of humans.

Still, when you take the series at face value, it's a fun, quick read.  Enough for me to already be awaiting Tidal to arrive from my library next week.  I don't think I will be buying and rereading this series multiple times like I did with Trylle, but I think this series is better than a lot of the other YA garbage out there.  While Hocking's writing style may not be unique or masterful, she is still creative and her ideas atypical of the current state of literature.  I would give it a go, but don't expect your mind to be blown.

No comments:

Post a Comment