18 June 2013

False Sight

Author: Dan Krokos
Series: False Memory #2
Rating: 3 / 5 Stars
Verdict: Borrow

I received an ARC of this novel from the publisher. I think the greatest difficulty I had with this novel is the fact that I have not read its predecessor, False Memory. Prior to receiving a copy of this novel, I had never heard of the author or the series. With that in mind, I think I had a severe handicap going into this book. While I typically complain when books in series spend a lot of time rehashing information from previous books in the series, I wish this book had done more of that style of recap since I struggled to really understand fully what the deal was with Miranda & gang. I think then I wouldn't have been so confused.

On a whole, the plot was definitely quick paced and exciting. I think this series will make a great movie or television series adaptation for young adults. Personally, though, the overall theme of the book (and shall I guess the series as well) doesn't cater to me. In the end, it ended up more of a fantasy novel than a sci-fi novel like I originally thought when I was introduced to the characters who are all clones of the same five people (the group of five is called Roses, although I am still not entirely sure why). I did not have issues with the multi-universe part of this book; that logic I still classify as sci-fi and probable even. What I had an issue with was how the multi-universe world was introduced and how it was used as part of the plot. The characters jump through this Black that I still don't understand. It appears as a sea that links the universes as if they are streams. A little MIB for me, but I could almost buy that. But then Miranda is standing in the Oval Office and suddenly just gets sucked in the Black and into another world? And then somehow ends up 1000 years in the future? Once I got to this point, my heart sank because I knew I had lost interest.

The eyeless also completely confused me. They crossed the line from sci-fi into fantasy for me as well. They reminded me of the little black things in Kingdom Hearts, which is how I pictured them for the rest of the book even though that isn't how they are described in the book.

Regardless of how convoluted the plot began and no matter how confused I got, I have to say I did like the ending. And the Noah-Miranda situation throughout the book reminded me of the ending of Dollhouse (with Echo and Paul). Indeed, when I started reading this book, I saw a few similarities between Dollhouse and this novel, although the comparisons shrank as I dived deeper into the novel.

At the beginning of the book, I was determined to get False Memory once I finished this one and then read both to fully understand this one. By the time I reached the end of the novel, I decided I didn't need to bother reading the first novel in the series because I don't plan to continue reading the series. That being said, all and all in the end it was still a good novel. Perhaps if I had read False Memory and connected with the characters already and understood the world created in the series I would have enjoyed it a lot more too.

No comments:

Post a Comment